If you’ve been following along, you have processed with me some of the spiritual stressors that might be underlying undetected in your life, and how there is a difference between spirituality (relationship with the Divine) and religiousness (devotion of worship to the Divine).
Now, I want to highlight some ways you can find peace when spiritual stress is taking a toll. Please note that I do not consider myself an expert on this subject matter. I am simply sharing the wisdom from some of the best authors and leaders.
- According to information collected by Android app Locket, which monitored how many times its 150,000 users checked their phone over in a day, the average user checked their phone 110 times a day. I’m not anti-technology at all. But, many wise spiritual authors have written about the benefits of solitude, or “unplugging” from people to be alone with the divine. Here are some inspiring quotes:
“Knowing how to be solitary is central to the art of loving. When we can be alone, we can be with others without using them as a means of escape.” Unknown
“How can you hear your soul if everyone is talking?” Mary Doria Russell
“Without solitude it is virtually impossible to live a spiritual life…we do not take the spiritual life seriously if we do not set aside some time to be with Him and listen to Him.” Henri JM Nouwen
2. We carry burdens every day just through the interactions we have with this world. As humans, we end up feeling like the weight of the world is on our shoulders. Daily, take a moment and put your hands into a fist, then open them to signify a release of:
- Anger: “Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry.” Ephesians 4:26
- Fear: “So donot fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
- The Past: “But if you do notforgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.” Matthew 6:15
- Control: “And we know that in all things God works for thegood of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28
- It’s not enough to “empty” ourselves, which is the practice of some meditative exercises. At some point, there needs to be a blessing. If you are a believer of the Divine, then you know there are benefits to be received by the Divine who loves you. Daily open your hands facing upward as if to receive a gift and allow yourself heavenly blessing. Why? Because you are a child of God. You are no mistake. You are loved deeply regardless of how well you did today. You are made whole through the one who sacrificed for you and now you can rest. Take 2 minutes and click below to hear a beautiful Gaelic blessing to bring you peace!